|Whittier Union High School District will honor over 2,800 members of the Class of 2020 during socially distanced drive-thru graduation ceremonies taking place the week of July 20.
Due to strict public health restrictions related to COVID-19, the District postponed in-person graduation ceremonies that were originally scheduled the first week of June. Under recently updated public health guidelines, drive-thru ceremonies and celebrations are now permitted in Los Angeles County.
“Our administrative teams have been working tirelessly to carefully plan on-campus events that adhere to all social distancing protocols, while ensuring that families have an experience that is safe, festive and respectful of such a significant milestone in their lives,” Superintendent Martin Plourde said. “It may not be what we are traditionally accustomed to, but we promise to make these ceremonies memorable for our seniors, whose achievements deserve to be recognized.”
To ensure the continued safety of students, families and staff, students will be assigned an arrival time based on last name. As part of a very structured process, students will leave their vehicles, walk across a stage as their names are called, have their photos taken and receive their diplomas. Schools will provide students and families with additional details, appointment times and maps detailing the graduation routes.
Traditional graduation speeches will be prerecorded and available for viewing on each school’s website.
|California High School
||12:30 to 6:30 p.m.
||Monday, July 20
||9800 S. Mills Ave., Whittier
|La Serna High School
||4 to 9 p.m.
||Tuesday, July 21
||15301 Youngwood Drive, Whittier
|Santa Fe High School
||5 to 9:30 p.m.
||Wednesday, July 22
||10400 Orr and Day Road, Santa Fe Springs
|Whittier High School
||4 to 8 p.m.
||Thursday, July 23
||12417 E. Philadelphia St., Whittier
|Pioneer High School
||5 to 9 p.m.
||Friday, July 24
||10800 Benavon St., Whittier
|5 to 7 p.m.;
7 to 8:30 p.m.;
8:30 to 9 p.m.
|Wednesday, July 22
||Sierra Education Center, 9401 Painter Ave., Whittier
The following guidelines will be enforced across all schools:
Families are encouraged to decorate their vehicles and take photos from the safety of their cars.
- Only one vehicle for the graduate and immediate family will be allowed.
- No over-sized vehicles – including motor homes, party buses or limousines – will be permitted.
- Riding on the back of a truck is not permitted. Vehicles must be enclosed (no motorcycles, convertibles with the top open, golf carts or bicycles).
- Each graduate will receive a scheduled time to arrive on campus for the ceremony. Early arrivals will not be permitted to enter.
- All graduates will wear their caps and gowns upon arrival. Please contact your school administration if you are in need of a cap and gown.
- All family members must remain in their vehicles at all times – they will not be permitted to exit vehicles to take photos. A photographer will take pictures of each graduate.
- Face masks must be worn if any windows in the vehicles are open.
- Graduates must wear face masks upon exiting their vehicles. Graduates may remove their masks while having photos taken.
- The District has a zero-tolerance policy on the possession, consumption or sale of alcoholic beverages or any restricted substances.